This role is fully remote and can reside in either Chicago, Dallas, Houston or Los Angeles.
Own the billing process, from point of time entry release through paid invoice by establishing communication with the attorneys and practice coordinators and understanding client requirements. Communicate and resolve WIP balances and support Accounts Receivable with resolution for their respective client matters.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Prepare, review, and distribute monthly prebills to appropriate billing attorneys.
- Obtain billing exemptions when appropriate. Ensure proper policies, processes, and procedures are followed throughout the billing process for applicable attorneys
- Create bills, drafts, and finals efficiently and accurately per client guidelines and billing department expectations. Prepare and/or assist in preparation of client bills; process, proof, and release manual bills in accounting system or download and prepare electronic billing using client approved software. Timely solution of any e-billing errors for proper submissions according to the client's guidelines. Validate set-up, maintenance and resolving electronic billing errors.
- Process write-downs, retainer applications, premium allocations, and transfers of time and/or disbursements after required approval has been obtained. Attorney, legal assistant, and client inquiries. Research and reconcile discrepancies.
- Handle attorney, practice coordinators, and client inquiries. Provide monthly billing reports as required. Prepare, per client requirements and/or attorney request, prepare billing accruals for budget analysis.
- Work with Conflicts Department to update client/matter files. Work with the Client Pricing Department to resolve billing rates issues, special billing agreements, disbursement requirements, markup/discounts, etc.
- Create and/or revise billing formats to accommodate client and/or attorney needs.
- Shred pre-bills; adhere to retention policy.
- Review client accounts receivable, aged work in progress and unapplied cash to minimize cash cycle, improve cash flow, and meet revenue goals.
- Review write-downs and work proactively with attorneys, management, and billing committee to resolve problems arising from this review.
- When appropriate, contact clients to resolve billing issues that hinder payment of outstanding A/R.
- Verify accuracy and completeness of data and ensure distribution of data to appropriate individuals.
- Assignment of special projects.
- Serve as back-up for other members of the billing team.
- Ensure compliance with billing and collection policies.
- Assist with gathering and matching supporting documentation for client expenses
- Analyze trends to suggest process improvements in a professional manner. Prepare special client requests such as diversity surveys, etc.
- Bachelor's degree required with a minimum of 2 years accounting/finance experience OR
- High School diploma or GED equivalent with a minimum of 5 years accounting/finance experience required
- Knowledge and understanding of a broad range of accounting policies and procedures and use of accounting software systems.
- Experience with firm software, especially strong MS Excel and MS Word experience required, Knowledge of Aderant, BillBlast and/or IntappTime plus.
- Ability to learn and embrace new skills and best practices as the position evolves and Firm needs change.
- Ability to develop relationships and foster teamwork at all levels of the Firm.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively with a diverse group of internal and external clients, attorneys, and staff.
- Ability to manage confidential information and sensitive situations with tact and discretion.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Reliability, flexibility, and adaptability in a team and service-oriented environment.
- Ability to organize, prioritize, and multi-task in a time-sensitive environment while maintaining the highest standards of work quality.
- Ability to produce quality work in a fast-paced dynamic environment, including prioritizing numerous tasks and completing them under time constraints.
- Ability to identify and accomplish long and short-term goals, projects, and activities.
- Broad knowledge of Microsoft applications.
Problem Solving Skills:
- Ability and confidence to identify and analyze issues, make decisions, and initiate actions/solutions.
- Agility to be able to respond to unexpected challenges, including proactively developing innovative solutions to complex problems while maintaining a professional demeanor.
- Ability to maintain composure and demonstrate good judgment.
- Work occasionally requires more than 35 hours per week.
Los Angeles based applicants only: The target annual salary range for this role is currently $65,000 - $78,000, based on a regular, full-time schedule. The amount of compensation offered will be determined by several factors, including but not limited to experience, qualifications, market data and internal equity. Total compensation may include an annual discretionary merit bonus, yearly retirement plan contribution, and a comprehensive benefits package.
We value diversity in the workplace. EOE/Minorities/Females/Vets/Disabled (EOE=Equal Opportunity Employer)