For those who want to invent the future of health care, here's your opportunity. We're going beyond basic care to health programs integrated across the entire continuum of care. Join us to start Caring. Connecting. Growing together.
Optum's Pacific West region is redefining health care with a focus on health equity, affordability, quality, and convenience. From California to Oregon and Washington, we are focused on helping more than 2.5 million patients live healthier lives and helping the health system work better for everyone. At Optum Pacific West, we care. We care for our team members, our patients, and our communities. Join our culture of caring and make a positive and lasting impact on health care for millions.
Schedule: Monday - Friday
Departments: Internal Medicine, Rheumatology, Pulmonary
Direct Report: Approx 13 (Medical Assistants & LVN)
It is time to take your career to the next level. As a Licensed Vocational Nurse Supervisor at Optum, you will be responsible for performing moderately complex and/or specialized patient-oriented procedures under the supervision of a clinician or Registered Nurse (RN) to ensure that patients receive appropriate care. Responsible for performing operational duties as required under the supervision of the site administrator or designee.
- Consistently exhibits behavior and communication skills demonstrating Optum's commitment to superior customer service, including quality, care, and concern with every internal and external customer
- Closely monitors patient safety at all times, i.e., does not leave the patient on an exam table unattended and participates in Optum fall prevention program
- Complies with Optum's sharp safety program at all times, i.e., only using devices with safety features and employing safe work practices
- Supervises clinical operations of a given patient care area
- Assists Site Administrator in ensuring compliance with licensing, certification, and competencies
- Evaluates nursing competencies and decisions according to current nursing practices
- Functions as a resource and serves as a liaison between administration, clinicians, staff, and other departments
- Participates in all Nursing Leadership regional meetings and Nurse Peer Reviews as needed
- Identifies and participates in quality improvement projects for the site
- Conducts monthly staff meetings to evaluate departmental needs and to communicate operational updates
- Uses, protects, and discloses Optum patients' protected health information (PHI) only in accordance with Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) standards
- Verifies that the informed consents for procedures have been signed, dated, and witnessed
- Assists with Quality Metrics, Comprehensive Health Assessment Programs (CHAPS) formally HCC research, telephone call procedures, and patient follow-up procedures
- Prepares labels, collects, and transports various specimens to appropriate destinations
- Conducts pre-and post-operative teaching for the patient, considering all psychological, physiological, and religious aspects
- Collaborates with a clinician to prepare, monitor, and discharge patients after a procedure
- Cleans and stocks exams and procedure/surgery rooms
- Serves as a relief for the teammates
- Assists with all department's specific functions within the LVN scope of practice
- Ensures monthly expiration logs for medications and sample medications (refrigerated and non-refrigerated) are maintained
- Ensures yearly expiration logs for Preventative Maintenance (PM) are performed as needed
- Ensures EKG reconciliation is performed and confirms clinician sees EKGs before patients are discharged
- Ensures referral tickler files/logs are maintained
- Ensures immunization records and updating EHR (including California Immunization Registry (CAIR)) is performed
- Attends mandatory annual skills validation and Annual Clinical updates that may occur during evening hours and weekends (selected Saturdays only)
- Frequently monitors overdue orders and follows an approved process to address the orders
- Assists with the Meaningful Use (MU) initiative by encouraging patients to sign up for Follow My Health (FMH), obtaining patients' email addresses, updating smoking status, and other initiatives
- Assists clinicians with medication reconciliation per guidelines
- Uses approved standing orders to perform, order tests, and update referrals
- Assists with entering referrals in electronic health records EHR for clinicians to authorize
- Enters medical billing charges for services rendered in EHR
- Participates in verifying medications and vaccine doses for non-licensed teammates
- Provides direct patient care
- Mentors and trains teammates in collaboration with the Site Administrator, lead clinician, and people services department
- Attends all mandatory Clinical Teammate Orientation (CTO) (both instructor-led and online courses), Annual Clinical Updates, and Skills validation, including those that could be held after working hours, including the weekend
- Participates in the facilitation of annual skills validation for Medical Assistants that take place during evening hours and or weekends (selected Saturdays only)
- Ensures all Patient Intervention Reports (PIR) have been reviewed and actions are taken
- Assists clinician and licensed nursing teammates in responding to patient emergencies as per Emergency Response Protocols
- Cross-trains to work in other departments or other duties as assigned by supervisor /management
- Performs additional duties as assigned
You'll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Graduation from an accredited Licensed Vocational Nurse program
- Current California LVN license
- I.V. therapy & blood draw certification
- Basic Life Support (BLS) certification or ability to obtain at the time of hire
- 3+ years of experience working as an LVN/LPN
- 1+ years of supervisory or management experience
California Residents Only: The salary range for California residents is $46,700 to $91,300 per year. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, UnitedHealth Group offers benefits such as, a comprehensive benefits package, incentive and recognition programs, equity stock purchase and 401k contribution (all benefits are subject to eligibility requirements). No matter where or when you begin a career with UnitedHealth Group, you'll find a far-reaching choice of benefits and incentives.
At UnitedHealth Group, our mission is to help people live healthier lives and make the health system work better for everyone. We believe everyone-of every race, gender, sexuality, age, location and income-deserves the opportunity to live their healthiest life. Today, however, there are still far too many barriers to good health which are disproportionately experienced by people of color, historically marginalized groups and those with lower incomes. We are committed to mitigating our impact on the environment and enabling and delivering equitable care that addresses health disparities and improves health outcomes - an enterprise priority reflected in our mission.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: OptumCare is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employers and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
OptumCare is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.