Provides implementation and management guidance and support for City Schools' College Readiness initiatives working to ensure that every student will be linked to a post-secondary opportunity after the completion of high school. Staff Specialist - Post Secondary Advising, will be assigned to a specific school to lead a College and Career Advising Team.
- With school leadership, creates a College & Career Advising Team, including sta?, teachers, and support organizations, to identify the services and support currently being provided; and develops a strategic plan for the College & Career approach for the high school.
- Ensures that college and career advising is a priority/responsibility of all school faculty and sta?. Ensures consistent college & career messaging throughout schools.
- In cooperation with the school's counselor, leads or coordinates the following activities at the school level.
- Leveraging existing resources to ensure that all students and families receive high quality college and career counseling to: develop a smart college list, submit applications in a timely manner, and complete all ?nancial aid paperwork.
- Ensuring e?ective implementation of college and career tools and programming (e.g., SAT Test Prep, Naviance) to support college and career exploration, preparation, and planning.
- Coordinating college tours and career exposure opportunities. Markets and support students in dual credit programs.
- Liaising with dual credit partner institutions to ensure programmatic success at the school level
- Implementing a continuum of work-based learning opportunities throughout grades 9-12, including compensated internships for 11th and/or 12th graders.
- Providing resources and support to ensure that ALL City Schools students have post-secondary plans, including job placement and employment support.
- Stewarding relationships with local and national Universities with high City Schools' graduation rates.
- Provides support to principal and school counselors in developing and evaluating the implementation of school-based post-secondary programs and services.
- Creates and maintains up-to-date college and career pathways information based on local workforce needs and advises students and instructors on college and career choice.
- Serves on committees related to college and career readiness.
- Assists in coordinating school-based college/career activities and the regional college fair.
- May assist in writing annual grant applications.
- Performs and promotes all activities in compliance with equal employment and nondiscrimination policies; follows federal laws, state laws, school board policies and the professional standards.
- Bachelor's degree in Education, School Counseling or a related area. Degree must be from an accredited college or institution.
- Two-years' experience in working with college and/or career readiness and access programs.
- Effective project management experience.
- Knowledge and understanding of effective college and career readiness strategies, policies, and procedures.
- Knowledge of current practices of college counseling.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Effective leadership and management skills that demonstrate the ability to accomplish successful education outcomes.
- Experience in working with diverse populations.
- Good organization and analytical skills.
- Proficient in the knowledge and use of technical computer applications including Microsoft Office and Excel.
- Ability to prioritize responsibilities and meet established schedules and timelines.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with District personnel and community partners.
- Proficient in the use of technical computer applications including Microsoft Office, particularly PowerPoint and Excel.
Full time or Part time
Qualified candidates for the above position must submit the following:
- Completed online application
- Resume that clearly demonstrates the above minimum qualifications. It is important that you include all experiences and education related to the position to which you are applying.
- Upload copies of all transcripts -undergraduate, graduate and all MSDE Certifications
- Must provide three (3) professional references to include: name, title, business address, e-mail address and phone number
- All documentation/certification necessary (scanned copies accepted) to substantiate minimum qualifications; must be uploaded into application
- All documentation must be scanned and uploaded to application
Benefits -- This position is eligible for benefits. To review the available options please see the information relevant to the union for this position by viewing the following link: http://www.baltimorecityschools.org
Baltimore City Public Schools does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry or national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or age in its employment, programs and activities and provides equal access to the Boy Scouts of America and other designated youth groups. For inquiries regarding the nondiscrimination policies, please contact Equal Opportunity Manager, Title IX Coordinator Equal Employment Opportunity and Title IX Compliance Office 200 E. North Avenue, Room 208 Baltimore, MD 21202; 410-396-8542 (phone); 410-396-2955 (fax).
This position is affiliated with the Paraprofessionals and School Related Personnel (PSRP) bargaining unit.
This position is affiliated with the City Retirement Plan.